Comments on "Item 2: Cell phones"

Well said! Unless you're an obstetrician or a neurosurgeon, you shouldn't be on the phone while driving. Better yet, those professions survived without cell phones in the not too distant past, so the cell phone should turn into a stun gun if used while driving a vehicle!!!

Posted by Louise at June 13, 2003 03:39 PM

I'm going to have to disagree on this one. While I never use the cell phone unless it's necessary, I've found that I'm able to get a lot more done if I can have certain conversations while I'm commuting or traveling from one appointment to another. As long as you have a hands free system, I don't see how having a conversation like this is that much different if you were speaking to someone in the car.

It's about being smart and safe. I've had zero accidents in 7 years with using a cell phone.

Posted by Jason Yormark at January 7, 2004 10:27 AM

I would just like to that i am 14 years old and my brother is 16 and driving. He has a cell phone and so do i but i know that when i drive i am not going to talk on the cell phone. My brother thinks it is ok. What he doesnt know is one of his friend(19) was just in a car wreck and guess what HE WAS TALKING ON A CELL PHONE! He told me that he thinks he wasnt paying attioen to the road only to the person he was talking to. He also said that from now on the only way he will talk on his cell phone is if he pulls over and he said that he will not ride with someone who is going to talk on the phone while driving. I agree with him and i think my brother does to but he still does it. All i am saying no one should be aloud to talk on cell phones while they are driving give it to someone riding in the car or ask them if u can call them when you can pull over!

Posted by Katie at May 6, 2004 08:35 AM

I agree with this insofar as it is with a cell phone without a hands free set. If you have a hands free set I think it's fine to talk on the phone (though it's the dialing that causes the distraction). Talking with a hands free set is no different than talking to a passenger, and if you are ticked off by people talking on a hands free set, you most likely are ticked off if the driver happens to talk to the passenger sitting beside them.

Posted by Keith at September 16, 2004 01:34 PM

Cell phone use in cars should be banned. I am just overjoyed to the poster above that she can "get more done" on her way to work or whereever. Unfortunately, her "work agenda" is not prioritized over the safety of herself and other drivers on the road.

If you are on the phone getting directions, you can pull off the road, or pull over to the shoulder and STOP your vehicle. To the poster above, who had ZERO accidents, that's also wonderful... However, that is not the norm. Check the statistics.

As for that old "hands free set" excuse... most people are too busy adjusting it or playing with it, or dialing on it, and with a handsfree set, THAT is when they get into accidents. Check the stats. If you know any police or people in law enforcement, ask to see some case files of accidents involving cell phones, and hands free set ones. Dont' take my word for it, check it out yourselves. Use statistics, stop using one person examples of yourselves if you happn to be astute drivers.

Remember, the rest of the world is not all like you : )

I'm running for office, and the first thing I am doing is banning cell phone use in any vehicle that is on the road (which means if you are stopped on the shoulder, or parked (NOT at a stoplight though) you can use your phone.

I dont' believe in big government, I believe in personal responsibility, but unfortunately, on this one folks, statistics show more Personal STUPIDITY than responsibility... and the greater good of all is a priority, not one person's zero accidents, or the idea of "I can get more done in my work day!" Sorry folks. No cell phones on the road.

Welcome to my world.

Your friendly neighborhood Democrat, Mathew. : )

Posted by Mathew at December 8, 2004 03:33 AM

The data is actually in on this one: hands-free or not, using a cell phone while driving is a bad idea. It seems that even the hands-free phones are too distracting. If you are talking to a passenger, your mind is still on your driving. If you are listening to the radio, you are still focussed. If you are talking to someone who is not in the car with you (in other words, talking on your phone) your mind is somewhere else. See www.scientificamerican.com for articles on the topic.

Posted by John at December 11, 2004 03:43 PM

Cell phone use should NOT be banned, people just have to learn to be more careful.

Posted by Sarah at March 14, 2005 01:27 PM

I hate to attack people personaly, but Mathew, you're just so wrong in so many ways. Firstly a comment on "the stats", that only applies to a subset of the population just doesn't cut it. Using that argument, I could point out that we wouldn't have any car accidents at all if we just didn't drive, we would have no airplane crashes if we never flew, and we could offend noone, if we just didn't speak; the stats are most clearly on my side on this one. I think a much more realistic approach to the world is to mitigate hazards by practicing safe habits (e.g. hands-free, giving your driving proper attention, not writing or reading while driving, etc.)

My other comment, that I find particularly lacking for someone expressing interest in politics is: "The world worked fine before cell phones, so any argument of their "need" is immediately invalidated." That's so absurd when applied to the rest of modern emineties that I don't think it's even necessary to rattle off the endless examples of what modern people define as "need". If any of the posters are Quakers, then perhaps they have the right to make a statement like that. But, then again, if anybody is a Quaker, what are they doing commenting on their "Driving Pet Peeves."

Posted by np at August 3, 2005 11:07 AM