Comments on "Item 5: "Unnecessary" speed"

I know what you mean because when i drive in the high way i always go 60 to 65 but when i go to 65 i feel that i'm going like 45 because the people are going faster than me, I feel that i drive like a older person, i won't never go over 65 in a speed limit that says 55 but even though i know friends that have gone over 85 in the 55 speed limit and fuck that there is never a fucking police officer by the high way but yeah if someone goes 67 in the 55 yeah there always have to be a fucking police officer and the right time at the right place for them to stop an person who was only going at 67 when people go over 20 the speed limit

Posted by Jorge at October 27, 2003 08:52 PM

You freakin' idiots, get the heck out of the way ! Slower traffic means "SLOWER" traffic get to the right. If you are an idiot and want to die for some reason, please do it when i'm not passing you in the right lane because you are too stupid to get to the right. Move the Fruck over !

Posted by Karl at April 2, 2004 02:52 PM

The left lane is for PASSING. It's not there for going 10 miles over the speed limit. I don't care if you're going 40 or 60 in the left...you should only be there if you're passing. If not, get over idiots.

Posted by Best Driver at May 10, 2004 12:35 PM

I agree with all of you. I don't drive insane in the left lane when I am there but at the same time I can't stand self appointed speed monitors. Like Karl said the sign that says "slower traffic keep right" does actually mean something. If you are not passing someone you have no business in the left lane esspecially if cars are lining up behind you or you have traffic passing you constantly on the right. I don't know if any of you have ever been to Europe (Germany) but they know how to drive. They drive extremely fast and they know the rules of engagment when on the highway (Autobahn). If a self appointed speed monitor insists on being in either of the left 2 lanes then he will die it is as simple as that. If you do not move with traffic and you are passing noone then you have no reason to be in the left lane period.

Posted by Jim at June 15, 2004 02:38 PM

I really don't think you have a right to complain here..

You are not the person to decide how fast is too fast.. Your government is.. and if you disagree with them at least have to deecency of not being hypocritical.

If you are going over the speed limit as well you have no righ to get mad at the other drivers who do so as well..

Posted by Can at October 24, 2004 02:37 AM

RE: CARL, BEST DRIVER, and JIM.

You guys are mad. Now I am basing my writings here on my local (state) laws... so any differences aside, excuse me for those. But my point here is a simple one. There is a speed limit. In IL it's 65 where posted as such. And yes, the left lane IS for passing...but you three nutbags need to look up what passing is defined as legally per the Sec. Of State's office of rules of the road (or the mandate in your states).

PASSING means to go around a car, with a TEMPORARY acceleration of speed. It DOES NOT mean you get to jump in the left lane, and fly past everyone at what you think the speed should be because you are now in the left lane.

The left lane is for passing, it is not an "any limit EXPRESS lane" Know the difference. It pisses me off when I am in the left lane, going 70 or sometimes even 75 (in a 65mph zone) and there is some NUTBAG (probaoby a Bush supporter with his stupid W04 sticker on his back window) behind me FLASHING his lights, honking his horn, and waiving his arms like Fay Wray on the empire state building for help.

I've even had this happen to me when there is CLEARLY another car, in front of me in the left lane, about a car length or so in front of me, and I cannot clearly go ANYWHERE else but with traffic flow. IF you cannot drive nice, get off the roads that my tax dollars pay for and buy your own please.

CLUE IN nutbags. Find out what passing really means, and stop pawning off your "idiots guide'" version of it on this message board/post. Thank you. : )

Sincerely, Mathew. Your friendly neighborhood Democrat.

Posted by Mathew at December 8, 2004 03:23 AM

Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Posted by stewart at December 11, 2004 07:06 PM

you really need to drive in the u.k. Then you'll see what its all about. Instead of taking 'your an idiot' approach, i'll give you logically reasons why not to just sit in the passing lane. 1) what if someone (besides you) is having an emergency?...how many women give birth in this country everyday? 2) what if someone wants to go 75 and you are going 74? True it is only one mph more than you, but what kind of person are you if you feel the need to CONTROL other people. 3) it is dangerous to pass people on the right. this is why in the u.k. it is illegal..people actually honk and get pissy if you pass them on the right (really left side there) side.
All of these people have a point. 'left lane for passing only' doesn't have a subnote that says 'only applies at certain speeds.' the 'slower traffic keep right' sign also means what says...if you are going slower than people behind you, then get over!
I want to call you inconsiderate, but you actually care about the well being of other drivers around you. What you are is a control freak....you are trying to impose your beliefs onto other people that (gasp!) don't feel the same way. If you don't want to piss people off, just stay out of the passing lane if you aren't passing anyone. Why does this not make sense?

Posted by Aaron Benfield at April 6, 2005 02:44 PM

It is against the law in Illinois to hold up traffic in the left most lane so you are in fact breaking the law. Research and you'll see.

Posted by LAT at May 19, 2005 01:10 PM

Okay lady...
The left lane is the FAST lane, not the faster lane. This is where all of us who have to be somewhere sometime in the future have the chance to fly. The middle lane is where you all crusin' just a bit can wander along. The fact is that all you holier-than-thou smugness that leads to your name calling isn't gonna keep your car from turning into so much scrap metal if you don't move over and let us get where we're goin'. Who died and put you in charge of defining "appropriate" speeding?

Posted by lilliy at May 30, 2005 01:51 PM

Hey, the majority of people here are telling you something. How do you feel if someone in front of you in the left lane is going 55? I find that driver's in general are unpredictable. I can hug behind someone for a little while and because I am not riding them in the left lane, they decide I am okay to let go ahead. Others get out of the way immediately because they are polite. And still every once in a while, usually when I am running late,there is that one person who has decided that their speed is the ONLY appropriate one for the left lane.

Bottom line, even if you are nice in this country, it is clear each person has a very exact formula for how I should drive at any given time. It is my job to figure ou twhat kind of a person you are in order to decide whether I am going to have to pass you in the slow lane or not, and if I make a mistake or step out of line, look aggressive at all, they will take it personal and decide I AM THE IDIOT. How egocentric is that really?

Again, how do you feel if someone in the left lane goes fifty,if 70 is okay for you, what right do you have to say someone can't go faster? Don't you think the person going 50 feels you should drive fifty and that's why he won't move. Majority should rule here. The left lane IS the passing lane. Please get over it, there could be someone behind you in a state of emergnecy.

Posted by Christine at September 18, 2005 04:16 PM

Let the guy try his "unnecessary speed" explanation anywhere in Europe (but especially in Germany) and he will get KILLED! The rule is that if you see someone approaching, you get over the the right lane... Not only is that a "nice" thing to do but a "smart" thing to do also. For all you know, somebody could be doing 230km/h - you tap your brakes to slow him down and even your head restraint won't save your neck...
What I've seen a lot of in Europe is that if you don't get out of the way, people will pass you on the right (which is illegal) then slow down in front of you to 40... 30... 20 km/h. All idiots eventually move to the right lane - where they belong....

Posted by tomasz at September 23, 2005 02:51 AM

I don't know how in the world I came across this page, but I find interesting this particular pet-peeve. You ask, "Is this part of the big ME FIRST attitude that we've been taught as Americans???" You not getting out of the way contradicts your own rhetorical question. We are all here to share the road and if you hug the left lane holding back 10 others, then that mentality is saying, "Why should I inconvenience myself for the sake of others?" I understand your view for that one loan driver who wants to weave in and out of traffic like a mad man and does 30mph over the general flow of traffic. But if you are the one who is going 10mph below the general flow of traffic riding in the left lane, then it is you who is the selfish one and need to get out of the left lane.

That is all.